This Free Illustrator Tutorial will show you,
- Differentiate between raster and vector
- Obtaining a vector graphic from a raster image
The tools that we will use for this tutorial are,
- Image Tracing feature
This tutorial will help you to get the most out of it.
- If you have not to download adobe Illustrator yet, use this link.
- Download Adobe Illustrator CC 2019
The first thing you need to know about graphic design is the difference between raster and vector graphic.
Differentiate between raster and vector
The image calls raster or bitmap. That is, the image is visible from a monitor.
The monitor displays the image in pixel mode. A pixel in red, green, and blue (RGB) shows these images together in different proportions.
The advantage of bitmap images is that the size of the image is small, but it is very clear from the monitor.
But if the image enlarges, the image will not be visible from the monitor, and you cannot print that image on paper.
If you increase the resolution of an image set to 72dpi to 300dpi for printing, it will only show a lot of dots.
So, you can print on a large surface like a paper, but you don’t want the image to change. Such an image calls a vector graphic.
A vector graphic not made up of a specific color unit like a pixel. In mathematical formulas that can read in a computer language. It is a collection of geometric images.
A computer program identifies a vector image as a mathematical formula, so its size is small but not necessary.
A vector graphic can easily edit anywhere. But it doesn’t show subtle details like a bitmap image. So, an image that displays all the details should be in a bitmap. Any graphic art that has sharp edges should place in the form of a vector.
Obtaining a vector graphic from a raster image
Illustrator software calls a vector graphics editing program. That means you need to have vector images to work with this.
So, if you’re going to create a graphic with a photo, you need to know how to convert that photo (bitmap image) into a vector image.
Here is how to do it.
You should do using the Image Tracing feature of the illustrator.
- Create a new layer.
- Click File > Place and get the photo you want to edit.
- Now place this photo where you want it to be.
- Then select the picture and click Windows > Image Tracing.
- The image trace palette display on the screen.
Don’t try to convert a bitmap image into a vector image at once. Then the photo can distort.
The photo should change to look like a hand-drawn picture. Which can do is provided in the image trace palette.
- Click on the preview command in the palette to activate it.
- Select the Low color icon in the image trace palette. Then the photo looks like graphic art.
- If you want to clearer color, you can enable the High color icon.
- If you want black and white, use the Grayscale icon.
- Adjust the color range of the photo to make this look more like a graphic image.
- You can increase the color mode by moving the slider at the bottom of the image trace palette to the right and you should do to suit your design.
- You can also adjust the color scheme by entering the palette commands.
- If you want to view the original photo while you are editing, select View > Source Image. Click on the tracing results to return to the edited photo.
Completion of work
Now this image should convert to vector format. To do this, click on the expand command in the control panel bar at the top of the illustrator application window.
The image then shows the lines of becoming a vector, following the adjusted colors.
If you want to see how to do this Free Illustrator Tutorial, watch the video.
From the next lesson, let’s start learning how to work with an illustrator.
If you would like to learn more free Illustrator tutorial through our website, use this link:- EduTutesFree